GDPR: General Data Protection Regulation
REGULATION (EU) 2016/679 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL
UAE Federal Law on Combating Cybercrimes
Federal Decree-Law no. (5) of 2012 On Combating cybercrimes
Guidelines to website owners and internet services in the UAE
Website owners serving the region and the UAE should be aware of the difference in public morality compared to other regions. For example, the age classification of the content may differ from a region to another; a content that is classified as 18+ in a region might be considered unacceptable in others. Accordingly, it is highly recommended to comply with the laws and regulations of website contents in different regions.
As a website owner, developer or operator/administrator, the guidelines below shall assist to ensure that the website complies with the internet access guidelines in UAE, to avoid blockage of their service:
- Ensure that the content of your website does not fall under any of the Prohibited content categories.
- Ensure that your of your website does not violate any laws and regulations applicable in UAE.
- Ensure that your website has an efficient mechanism for users to reach the administration when required.
- Ensure that collection and processing of sensitive user data is done in secure manner (e.g. by use of SSL/encryption technologies to prevent illegal collection of usernames, credit card information and banking information).
- Ensure that website servers and systems are secure by hosting with reputable service providers, installing anti-virus and anti-malware software, perform security auditing, following best practices in term of administration and operations.
Special notes to websites with User-Generated content:
- Specify and publish abuse policy and content guidelines.
- Allow visitors to flag /report abuse via selection menu or simple web form.
Special Notes to websites that allow placement of 3rd party or partners Advertisements /Classifieds/ Deals
- Ensure that all advertisements comply with the relevant laws and regulations such as Medical advertisement.
- Monitor and prevent abuse and illegal activities such as prostitution, selling of illegal goods/services like unlicensed voice service, prescribed medicine, drugs and narcotics, unlicensed , illegal radio equipment’s, sexual material and content, sex toys, and content of similar nature.
Special notes to international websites
- Develop filters for explicit material where visitors can activate/deactivate
- Isolate explicit content from the rest of General content (e.g. by having “Adult only” section)
- Safe search feature: if the website offers search tools, the website should ensure the filtering of search results so that they are free of any prohibited content.
- Block access to infringing material: preventing access to the infringing material must be based on the applicable laws in UAE and by placing a notice (this content is not available in your country)
- Rating system: In case the website is outside the UAE and serve many countries, a content classification system must be followed to isolate pornography or adults accepted materials. The site should also prevent access to these materials if they intend access to the UAE.
- Mechanism for reporting abuse: the site must provide an effective and easy mechanism for users to report any abuses that may occur on the website and should ensure following-up and resolving cases within a reasonable time (for example, a day or two).
- Disable offensive accounts: (1) The website owner must identify a help contact to assist the competent authorities to perform their roll, (2) The site must disable offensive accounts when reported by the competent UAE authorities.
User privacy protection:
The website should:
- Request the user to provide only the necessary information for service.
- Adhere to the confidentiality of users’ information, save it using the proper techniques such as encryption and do not allow any party except with the consent of the user or on the basis of the legal proceedings window.
- Refrain from collecting addresses and contact information of visitors for the purpose of sale or publication.
Assistance to law enforcement agencies:
Site owner must fully cooperate with law enforcement agencies in events of crimes or violations, and provide the necessary assistance or information for the investigation and evidence collection.